- HPD continues successful GT3 Academy with diverse class of drivers for 2022
- Championship instructors will provide top-level mentoring and coaching
- Racers Edge Motorsports returns to operate Academy program
Santa Clarita, CA (May 28, 2022) – Building on the success of championship and race winning drivers from Academy classes in 2020 and 2021, HPD today announces the third GT3 Academy Class for 2022.
One of Honda Performance Development (HPD)’s core principles is to support drivers in their efforts to achieve their dreams through cultivating the next generation of racing talent. Along with our partner, Racers Edge Motorsports, The HPD Academy will begin its third year of instruction in June.
The 2022 HPD Drivers Academy will start with an unparalleled training curriculum for motivated drivers. This year’s students represent a diverse group of drivers with a variety of motorsports backgrounds. Kyle Loh, Luca Mars, Chris DeFreitas, and Daniel Wu will make up the 2022 GT3 class with championship instructors including Ricky Taylor, Mario Farnbacher, Ryan Eversley, and Marc Miller. The common element among the 2022 class is a committed mindset to develop their skills and prepare for top-level professional racing.
- Kyle Loh is a Taiwanese/ America open wheel driver who has competed in karting, Formula 4, and Formula 3 in the Formula Pro USA FR Western Championship. Kyle also works as an instructor at Allen Berg Racing and wants to use his platform to inspire and raise awareness about people with developmental disabilities.
- Luca Mars has experience in open wheel and touring cars. Currently, Mars is racing in the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge in the GS Class and has had success with podiums in SCCA, F2000 Championship and the MX-5 Cup Championship.
- Dr. Chris DeFreitas is a full-time Emergency Room physician. After experiencing success in Radical series racing, Dr. DeFreitas has dedicated himself to moving into the professional ranks. After completing the full complement of HPD partner Skip Barber Racing Schools programs, he has worked with Racers Edge in private testing to prepare for the Academy.
- Daniel Wu is an American actor, director and producer who has a long and successful history in the film industry in Asia and in the U.S. Wu is also an avid racer and enjoys competing his Honda Civic Type-R in NASA WERC Series at various tracks around the nation, including the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.
“HPD is enthused to begin part one of the 2022 HPD Academy. As in previous years, the 2022 class of GT3 drivers come from different backgrounds but share a common commitment to dedication and growth. The measure of Academy success is the accomplishments of HPD Academy graduates in open wheel, sports car, and touring car disciplines. We are honored to have played a part in helping drivers go on to an unequaled list of podiums, wins, championships and motorsports firsts across the North American racing landscape – none of which would be possible without a strong partnership with Jon Mirachi and Racers Edge Motorsports as well as HPD engineers and drivers” said John Whiteman, HPD Commercial Manager.
The 2022 Academy begins instruction at the famed Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio on June 1st and will visit other tracks throughout the summer, including Virginia International Raceway, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Sebring International Raceway.
If you are interested in applying for the academy, please contact:
Lee Niffenegger, Program Manager, Honda Performance Development
About Racers Edge Motorsports
Racers Edge Motorsports is one of North America’s most successful race teams. Currently completing in the SRO GT World Challenge America Series with the Acura NSX GT3 Evo22, the 2019 and 2020 championship team also has extensive experience in IMSA as well as having won multiple championships in open wheel competition. A hallmark of their programs has always been both Driver and Crew Development, with extensive experience developing young races and crew, helping them reach their potential. Staffed with dedicated, motivated, and experienced senior staff, the team has the technical knowledge and experience to win championships and train personnel at the highest levels of Sports Car competition.