Will Power led a 1-2-3 sweep for Team Penske in IndyCar Series qualifying Saturday at the Edmonton City Centre Airport temporary circuit for Sunday’s Rexall Edmonton Indy. Power, who is driving a third Penske entry in a limited schedule, headed teammates Ryan Briscoe and Helio Castroneves.
It is Power’s second Edmonton pole -- he also was fastest qualifier for the Champ Car race here in 2007 -- and his second IndyCar pole, the first coming at Long Beach in April.
Defending race winner Scott Dixon will start fourth for Target Chip Ganassi Racing, while Graham Rahal qualified fifth in his Newman Haas Lanigan Racing Honda Dallara. Making his first appearance at Edmonton, current IndyCar Series points leader Dario Franchitti rounded out the Firestone “Fast Six” qualifiers today.
Sunday’s race starts at 6 p.m. EDT, with live television coverage on Versus.
Firestone Fast Six Qualifiers:
Ps./Driver/Team/Chassis/Best Time/Best Speed
1. Will Power Team Penske Honda Dallara 1:01.0133 116.414 mph
2. Ryan Briscoe Team Penske Honda Dallara 1:01.1232 116.205
3. Helio Castroneves Team Penske Honda Dallara 1:01.2033 116.053
4. Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Honda Dallara 1:01.2046 116.050
5. Graham Rahal Newman Haas Lanigan Honda Dallara 1:01.6952 115.127
6. Dario Franchitti Target Chip Ganassi Honda Dallara 1:01.8344 114.868
Will Power (#12 Team Penske Honda) pole qualifier, his second pole of 2009: “This qualifying format is exhausting. It’s almost like a race, with strategy, timing and some really hard driving through all three segments. My guys are fantastic. They may not be here every weekend [Power runs a partial schedule] but they’re ‘Penske material’ -- and that’s as good as you get.”